Don't be scared to make these yummy and easy Halloween breadsticks using basic pantry ingredients.
Is it just me or does it feel like you're making a hundred trips to the store this time of year to get Halloween costumes, Halloween party game supplies, candy for trick-or-treaters, and all the things?
Don't get me wrong... Halloween is a lot of fun. But when it comes to making fun Halloween recipes that everyone goes batty over, I hate going to the store if I don't have to.
That's why I love this homemade breadstick recipe. Breadstick bones to be exact. I can simply whip up these bone breadsticks without having to rush to the store to get any ingredients.
So if you're looking for a spooky Halloween appetizer to take a Halloween party or just want to get major cool mom points at family dinner by serving these with Witch's Brew Stew, give these easy breadstick recipe a try. I'm betting you'll fall in love with them, too.
- warm water
- instant yeast
- all-purpose flour
- butter and spices for topping (see notes)
How to make breadsticks
Don't be scared to make this Halloween bread. This Halloween bone recipe is very forgiving and always turns out.
First, mix yeast with warm water. How warm should the water be? You know the water is warm enough when you can stick your finger in without getting burned, but it is still very warm to the touch.
Next, add a few pinches of white sugar and salt. Stir in oil and let this mixture sit for 2-5 minutes, until it is thick and bubbly/frothy. This is the sign that your yeast has been activated and you'll end up with irresistible bone bread.
Finally, stir in the flour. Start with 3 cups and then add increments of ½ cup. I usually always use 4 ½-5 cups, but you'll want to watch it. The dough can be slightly sticky, but it should still be soft and pliable.
Let the creepy bread dough sit for 10-15 minutes.
How to make breadstick bone shapes
After the dough has rested for 15 minutes or so, place the dough on a floured surface and roll out into a large rectangle that is at least ½ inch thick.
Use a pizza cutter to cut long strips of dough. Cut 1-inch slits on each side of the breadsticks to create a bone.
Place on a greased baking sheet and let rise another 15-30 minutes.
Finally, bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Check after 15 minutes. You may need a few extra minutes, depending on your oven.
Brush with melted butter and garlic powder or Salad Supreme seasoning and parmesan cheese.
Alternatively, you can twist each breadstick to make this Halloween bread ideas look even more like bones. This will take more time, but the result is also very cool.
Blood dipping sauce
This 3-minute blender marinara sauce also makes a great dip for your Halloween bone breadsticks.
After you make this recipe, will you pretty please leave a comment with a star rating? This will help others find this amazing recipe! Thanks SO much! ♡Print
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: about 20 breadsticks 1x
Serve these bone breadsticks as part of a spooky and fun Halloween dinner!
- 1 ½ cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil or oil of choice
- 3-5 cups all-purpose flour
- Sprinkle yeast in warm water. (The water should be very warm, but not too hot that you can't put your finger in it.) Give it a quick stir. Add in sugar and salt. Add oil. Let sit about 2-5 minutes until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Stir in flour. Add 3 cups to start with and then add additional ½ cup increments. (The dough can be slightly sticky, but you want it to be soft and rollable.) Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a large rectangle, at least ½ inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into strips. To make bone shapes, cut 1-inch strips on each end of the breadstick. Let rise for 15-30 minutes.
- Bake the breadsticks at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes. The breadsticks are done when they are a soft golden brown color. Avoid over baking.
- Top with melted butter and garlic powder or garlic salt. Alternatively, they are also delicious with Salad Supreme seasoning and parmesan cheese.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: bread
Keywords: breadsticks, halloween dinner, halloween recipes
Let us know what you think!