Easy and delicious bran muffins made with wholesome ingredients. Perfect for breakfast, snacks, or lunch boxes!
- 3 cups unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups almond milk + 2 Tbsp vinegar)
- Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran.
- In s separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together.
- Combine the moist bran with the beaten eggs, 2 more cups of bran, buttermilk, sugar/butter mixture, and flour, soda, and salt. Stir until well blended.
- At this point, you can place the batter in the fridge for 2-4 weeks (and bake later) or bake immediately.
- To bake, place 1/4 cup batter into each section of a greased muffin tin. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Muffins are done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly and eat warm with butter and jam or plain!
- These bran muffins freeze well. Make a big batch and freeze for up to 3 weeks. Let sit at room temperature a few hours before eating from frozen.
- Category: muffins, breakfast
Keywords: bran muffins, bran muffin recipe, muffins, healthy muffins