Easy and delicious bran muffin recipe you can make in under 30 minutes! Perfect for breakfast, snacks, or lunch boxes!
Easy Bran Muffins
We love muffins at our house (especially these ones), but sometimes muffins seem more like dessert, so we don’t make them often. Until my sister introduced us to this healthy bran muffin recipe.
All of my children like these muffins and my husband, too (which is saying a lot so he can never say no to a giant Costco muffin).
These muffins are hearty and healthy and easy to make. Plus they freeze well, so you can make them in advance and pull them out when you need a quick snack. Enjoy!
Some recipes call for All Bran or Raisin Bran cereal, but this recipe is much cheaper without those ingredients! Plus, you can still make healthy bran muffins in a hurry.
- unprocessed wheat bran
- boiling water
- brown sugar
- butter, softened
- wheat flour
- white flour
- baking soda
- eggs, beaten
- buttermilk or buttermilk substitute (see below)
This recipe for bran muffins calls for buttermilk, but if you’re like me, you won’t always have buttermilk on hand. Don’t worry, there is an easy substitute!
Simply mix 2 cups of milk (we use almond milk, but dairy milk works, too) with 2 Tablespoons of vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and let bubble for 1 minute. Use as the recipe calls.
How To Get Muffins The Perfect Size
Have you ever wondered how to get healthy muffins the same size? I did, too, for so long until I learned this simple trick.
More Muffin Recipes To Try:
- Brown Sugar Muffins Everyone Loves
- Easy Whole Grain Corn Bread Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Bran Muffins Recipe
After you make this recipe bran muffins, will you please come back and leave a comment with star rating? This will help others find it. Thanks so much! ♡Print
Easy and delicious bran muffins made with wholesome ingredients. Perfect for breakfast, snacks, or lunch boxes!
- 3 cups unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups almond milk + 2 Tbsp vinegar)
- Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran.
- In s separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together.
- Combine the moist bran with the beaten eggs, 2 more cups of bran, buttermilk, sugar/butter mixture, and flour, soda, and salt. Stir until well blended.
- At this point, you can place the batter in the fridge for 2-4 weeks (and bake later) or bake immediately.
- To bake, place ¼ cup batter into each section of a greased muffin tin. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Muffins are done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly and eat warm with butter and jam or plain!
- These bran muffins freeze well. Make a big batch and freeze for up to 3 weeks. Let sit at room temperature a few hours before eating from frozen.
- Category: muffins, breakfast
Keywords: bran muffins, bran muffin recipe, muffins, healthy muffins
Recipe adapted from a recipe my sister Sarah shared with us years ago!