Looking for the easiest recipe for funeral potatoes (aka Cheesy Potatoes or Party Potatoes)? Look no further! This recipe is quick, easy and the ultimate comfort food!
What are funeral potatoes?
Funeral potato casserole gets the name because it is a popular comfort food dish that is served at funeral lunches and dinners.
These cheesy potatoes are so easy and quick to prepare. You can make them a few days ahead and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
Not only are these popular for funerals (since you can feed a lot of people!), but they are the perfect side dish for brown sugar glazed ham for your holiday dinners.
Since you can make them in a few days in advance and then bake them when you are ready, they are not only popular for funerals, but make
Here's the ingredients you'll need for easy funeral potatoes recipe:
- baking potatoes or frozen shredded hash browns
- Cream of Chicken soup
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped onion
- Corn flakes or bread crumbs
- parmesan cheese
How to make funeral potatoes
If you plan to use real potatoes for this quick casserole, boil them with the skins on until they are soft and tender. Once they are cool enough to touch, use a large cheese grater to grate them. You can also cube them if you prefer.
Place the shredded or cubed potatoes into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Set aside.
Can you use frozen potatoes? Of course! Just make sure they are mostly thawed before going on the next step.
Next, in a medium bowl, combine the Cream of Chicken soup, milk, onion, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.
Pour melted butter on top of the potatoes in the dish. Then gently spread the cream soup mixture on top of the butter. Do not mix with the potatoes.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
Funeral potatoes with corn flakes are so delicious, so don't forget to add the corn flakes or bread crumbs topping before you bake!
What to serve with funeral potatoes:Print
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
Cheesy potatoes are the ultimate comfort food!
- 5 large potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 can (10.5 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. chopped onion (or dried onions)
- ¾ cup cornflakes or bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- Boil potatoes until tender. (Or cook in the microwave). Once soft all the way through, drain the potatoes and let cool until you can touch them. Use a grater to shred the potatoes in large pieces.
- Place shredded potatoes in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour melted butter over potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream soup, sour cream, milk, onions, and shredded cheese. It will be thick and chunky. Pour this mixture on top of the potatoes and spread evenly across the pan. Do not mix with the potatoes.
- Sprinkle crumbs or corn flakes on top of the potatoes, then parmesan if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 325 F. Or place in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: potatoes
Keywords: funeral potatoes, cheesy potatoes
Let us know what you think!