*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
All you need to know to do a White Elephant Gift Exchange…the rules, gift ideas, and free printable numbers.
WHAT IS A WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT EXCHANGE?
White Elephant is a popular gift exchange game that is usually played around at Christmas and holiday parties. It’s a great game for family parties, office parties,–really any party! In fact, a white elephant party is easy to put together.
So what is a white elephant gift?
Legend has it that the King of Siam gifted white elephants to anyone who crossed him. Although these ginormous beasts were beautiful, they were not useful and cost a fortune to keep up.
Hence, the white elephant gift exchange continues on in our day– where the silliness of the gifts is more important than it’s usefulness.
Related: White Elephant Gift Auction Game
HILARIOUS WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT IDEAS
The whole fun of a gift exchange like this is the gifts. The funnier the gift, the more fun everyone will have!
Typically, people bring “gag” gifts meaning that gifts are ugly, useless, or just silly.
WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT EXCHANGE RULES
Here’s how to do a white elephant exchange. These white elephant rules can be modified to fit your crowd.
- Invite your guests and tell them to bring a wrapped white elephant gift. Be sure to set a dollar amount limit so that everyone’s gift is the same in value. (Here’s 16 White Elephant Gift Ideas Under $20)
- Each gift should be wrapped, but no tags are needed.
- Have a designated place for the gifts. When everyone arrives, have them place their gift in that area.
- Once you know how many gifts/guests there are, write numbers 1-14 (if there are 14 guests, for example) on individual slips of paper. Place each number in a bowl or basket. Grab free printable numbers below!
- Have each person draw a number out of the box.
- The player with number 1 gets to choose the first gift. They unwrap the gift in front of everyone.
- The player who drew number 2 goes next. They can either choose the gift player #1 unwrapped or choose a wrapped gift.
- If they choose player #1s gift, player #1 gets to choose a new gift.
- The wrapping/stealing continues until everyone has played.
- Designate the amount of times a gift can be stolen. 1-2 times is a good amount, but it’s up to you.
PRINTABLE GIFT EXCHANGE NUMBERS
I’ve made it easy for your to play this Christmas party game.
You’re on your way to a fun Christmas party game!