Celebrating Easter Holy Week with children is easy with these daily devotionals, activities, and printables. Learning about the last week of Christ’s life is fun and easy!
Easter Holy Week Ideas
Celebrating Holy Week is a great Easter Tradition that will help keep Christ in your celebrations. Not only are these daily devotionals simple, they are also perfect for children to learn about the Easter week.
As you walk through Christ’s last week, you’ll learn about the important events for each day, as well as some kid-friendly activities you can do to reinforce what happened.
So yes, these ideas are kid-approved! My children look forward to this week!
What is Holy Week?
Holy Week is the week leading up to Easter. It starts on Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter) and ends on Easter Sunday.
When is Holy Week 2021?
Holy Week 2021 begins on March 28th and ends on Easter Sunday, April 4th.
Timeline of Holy Week
Easter becomes more meaningful when you can learn about the daily events of the last week of Christ’s life.
Here is a list of all the daily events of Holy Week. There are also optional activities you can do
- Events: Christ entered Jerusalem on a donkey as the scriptures foretold. His followers waved Palm leaves as they shouted Hosannah.
- Activity: Make palm leaves by tracing hands onto green paper. Reenact the triumphal entry.
- Add your first Easter Week sign
- Events: Jesus cleansed the Temple and healed the blind and lame.
- Activity: visit a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; clean the house – have everyone pick one egg with a chore written inside it. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Events: Christ taught his disciples on the Mount of Olives
- Activity: study some of His teachings
- Events: The scriptures don’t say what happened on this day. There is some speculation that Judas started his betrayal of Christ this day for 30 pieces of silver.
- Activity: Forgive or ask forgiveness for someone you have hurt
Last Supper Thursday
- Events: Jesus washes His disciples’ feet before the Last Supper; He institutes the sacrament; Goes to the Garden of Gethsemane and suffers for sins; arrested
- Activity: Set up a family foot-washing station. Take turns washing each other’s feet and discuss how humble Christ was to wash his friends’ feet; have a family-friendly Last Supper together on the floor with typical foods from that day.
- Watch this sweet video about Gethsemane
- Events: Jesus is tried illegally and condemned to be crucified. He is crucified at Golgotha.
- Activities: Make hot cross buns
Spirit World Saturday
- Events: Jesus body lay in the tomb. Christ spent this day teaching in the spirit world.
- Activity: Use this day to find your Easter baskets, do egg hunts, and all the non-spiritual activities!
- Events: Jesus is Resurrected! He appears to Mary Magdalene and his disciples.
- Activity: Make these Resurrection Rolls for breakfast. It’s a great family activity that teaches why Easter Sunday is so significant and we have a lot of fun while doing it. Not to mention, the Empty Tomb Rolls as they are sometimes called are so yummy!
- Do this Christ-Centered Easter Story Egg Hunt