This post may contain affiliate links. I only recommend products I use and love.
Pumpkin pie meets cake! This incredibly easy pumpkin pie cake dessert only takes 10 minutes to prepare. You still get the amazing flavors of pumpkin pie, but with a texture of cake, too. We like this better than pumpkin pie!
EASY PUMPKIN PIE CAKE
Move on over pumpkin pie... this recipe for pumpkin pie cake takes the cake.
I'm so excited to share this recipe with you! I have always "liked" pumpkin pie, but quite truthfully, some are too mushy or not cooked all the way, or the crust turns soggy.
And by golly, I have yet to make a pretty-looking pumpkin pie, let alone one that doesn't have burnt crust.
So when my cousin brought this pie cake to Thanksgiving a few years ago, it was love at first bite.
Except, as soon as I tasted it, a flood of memories came back as I remember eating this as a little girl. My mom used to make it and I instantly remembered how much I loved it.
I was so happy that this recipe was not lost and forgotten anymore.
You better believe that this version of pumpkin pie and The Best Blueberry Sour Cream Pie are going to show up at our Thanksgiving Eve Pie Night every year.
And don't worry, there are always leftovers to eat after our big Thanksgiving feast full of our favorite dishes like The Famous Corn Bread Stuffing and 13-Layer Rainbow Jello.
THIS PUMPKIN PIE CAKE ONLY TAKES 10 MINUTES TO PREPARE!
Yes, you heard that right! This pumpkin pie will only take you 10 minutes to prepare and then you'll bake it in the oven for about 70 minutes. It will be done when the pumpkin pie filling is firm.
The great thing about this pumpkin pie cake with yellow cake mix crust means you don't need to make a traditional pie crust.
PUMPKIN PIE CAKE INGREDIENTS
Besides the fact that this "pumpkin pie" is so yummy, it only requires a few ingredients. Here's what you need:
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 large can Pumpkin Pie Mix (see note if you are using plain canned pumpkin)
- brown sugar
- pie dish
- 9x13 cake pan
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PIE CAKE
This Thanksgiving pumpkin dessert is essentially 3 layers.
- Make the first layer (crust) by combining 1 yellow cake mix (less 1 cup),1 egg, ½ cup melted butter, and 2 Tbsp. flour together. Press this into a greased 9x13 pan or 2 9-inch pie pans.
- Make the middle layer by spreading 1 large can of Pumpkin Pie mix (see note if you are using plain pumpkin) over the crust layer.
- The last layer is the crumb topping. Mix the remaining 1 cup of cake mix, 1 tsp. cinnamon, ¼ cup sugar, and 2 Tbsp. butter (at room temperature) together. Sprinkle over the middle layer.
Once all 3 layers are prepared, pop this easy pumpkin pie into the oven and bake at 350 degree F for about 60-75 minutes.
This pumpkin dessert is finished when an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.
2 WAYS TO BAKE THIS DESSERT
When I ate this recipe as a child, we served it straight from a 9x13 cake pan. And there is nothing wrong with that! One recipe will fill a full 9x13 pan. That is definitely a simple option.
But... if you want more a "pie", then do what I did and bake it in 2, 9-inch pie dishes.
It turned out just as well in the pie dishes and just look how fancy that looks!
In fact, you wouldn't even have to call this a cake if you bake it in the pie dish.
Don't forget a dollop of fresh whipped cream on top of each piece!
Well, what are you waiting for? Give this pumpkin pie cake a try. Just like all the other So Festive! recipes I've shared here, this one is quick, easy, and delicious!
OTHER PIE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE:
Here's the pumpkin pie cake recipe! Print it off and enjoy it at Thanksgiving!Print
Pumpkin Pie Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 2- 9" pies or 9x13 pan 1x
Cake + pumpkin pie meet together in this incredibly easy and delicious alternative to the traditional pumpkin pie.
- 1 yellow cake mix (less 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 large can pumpkin pie mix (not just canned pumpkin)- about 3 cups worth- see notes if you are using plain canned pumpkin
- 1 cup cake mix
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 1, 9x13 cake pan or 2, 9-inch pie pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix (less 1 cup), flour, egg, and melted butter. Once it's all combined, press firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the entire can of pumpkin pie mix on top of the cake layer.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the cake mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter (not melted) to create a crumb topping. Sprinkle over the top of the pumpkin pie layer.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes until the all set up. I usually bake for closer to 75 minutes, with maybe an additional 5 minutes to make sure the pumpkin is really set up well.
- Let cool and eat or keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Serve warm or cold with fresh whipped cream.
If you don't have Pumpkin Pie Mix on hand, create the middle layer with the following:
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin
- 1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. cloves
- 1 ⅔ cup evaporated milk (12 oz. can)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie cake, pumpkin dessert
Let us know what you think!