Delicious and easy carrot cake cupcakes with a cute carrot cupcake topper! Perfect for Easter.
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 10-oz bag shredded carrots, then diced small
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canola pil (or 3/4 cup applesauce and 3/4 cup oil)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position.
- Line cupcake tins with cupcake papers or spray lightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar, brown sugar, and eggs on medium-high speed until well combined.
- Reduce the speed to medium and with the mixer running, add oil (or oil and applesauce) carefully not to splatter.
- Increase the speed to high and mix until the batter is light in color.
- Stir in shredded, chopped carrots and dry ingredients by hand until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake tins and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes and then remove them to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, whip the cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla together until well combined. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. You may want to add more depending on how thick you want it.
- Once frosted, use green and orange M&Ms to make the carrot toppers.
If you use 2, 9-inch pans, bake for 32 minutes and double the frosting recipe. For 9×13 pan, bake for 40 minutes. Single batch of frosting