How to make a giant DIY balloon arch for only $20. This step-by-step tutorial will show you how to do a balloon arch easily!
SIMPLE BALLOON ARCH DIY
Now you can make a HUGE statement at your next event with this easy balloon arch DIY. It’s so easy to make and will only cost you $20, including balloons.
Making a balloon arch way is always everyone’s favorite part of our annual neighborhood children’s bike parade & breakfast each 4th of July. However, a homemade balloon arch way is perfect for any event including birthdays, races, family reunions, graduations/retirements, and block parties.
Your balloon arch way is the perfect, inexpensive way to make a BIG statement with minimal effort.
HOW TO MAKE A BALLOON ARCH WAY IN 3 EASY STEPS:
There are 3 steps to creating a balloon arch. These steps also work to create balloon columns:
- Setting up your balloon arch stand (framework)
- Filling balloons for arch (no helium required)
- Attaching balloons to the balloon arch (no tape needed)
STEP 1: CREATE A DIY BALLOON ARCH STAND
Before we get to the supplies you’ll need for an arch for balloons, Ill show you how to make a balloon arch frame. But first, decide on how big you want it. Then you’ll know what size pvc pipe for balloon arch.
HOW TO MAKE A BALLOON COLUMN
If you want to make a balloon column, figure out how tall you need it to be. That will be the size of your PVC pipe. Follow the rest of the steps.
20-FOOT BALLOONS ARCH
This is a 20-foot arch. It’s the perfect size to go across a sidewalk or small path.
30-FOOT FREE-STANDING BALLOON ARCH
A 30-foot drive through balloon arch will span across a driveway. This is a fun option and only requires extra balloons for arch and an extra piece of PVC.
STEP 2: PURCHASE DIY BALLOON ARCH KIT SUPPLIES
Once you have decided which size of arch to make, you are ready to buy the supplies.
Get all the balloon arch kit supplies (except balloons and balloon pump) at Home Depot or your home improvement store in the sprinkler aisle.
Tip: Make sure you have a car big enough to transport the 10-feet PVC pipes. If you have a short car, you can open up the passenger window and slide the PVC pipe out. If you do this, make sure you have an extra person to help hold the pipe so it doesn’t slide out onto the road!
SUPPLIES FOR A 20-FOOT ARCH:
SUPPLIES FOR A 30-FOOT ARCH:
All of the above plus: 1 extra piece of PVC pipe, 1 extra coupling, and 20-30 extra balloons.
- 3- 10-feet PVC pipes, ¾″ wide (they need to be bendable)
- 2- ¾″ coupling (this will hold the PVC pipes together)
- release tool and pipe bevel (to undo the coupling when you’re done)
- 2- ½″ x 2 feet rebar
- 120-130 balloons
- balloon pump
HERE’S THE DIRECT LINKS SO YOU CAN PLACE AN ONLINE ORDER AND DO A STORE-PICK-UP AT YOUR LOCAL HOME DEPOT:
SUPPLIES FROM AMAZON FOR DOORSTEP DELIVERY:
HOW MUCH IS A BALLOON ARCH?
The cost to make a cheap balloon arch will depend on the size you choose, but plan on around $20. This is what we spent:
(Prices are from July 2018 at Home Depot)
20-Foot Balloon Arch Cost:
- 2,10- foot PVC Pipe = $5.42 ($2.71 each)
- 1, ¾″ coupling = $.59
- 2, 24″ rebar= $5.20
- 80-100 balloons = about $7 (plan on at least 70, but if you want a really full arch, do closer to 100)
- Total: Under $20!
*For a 30-foot arch, you’ll just need 1 extra piece of PVC pipe, 1 more coupling and about 30-40 more balloons)
Save TONS of Time!
Invest in this electric balloon pump for under $20 so you can blow up the balloons super fast! This has been on of the best party purchases we have made!
The great news is that once you have the stand supplies, you’ll only need to buy new balloons each time you use it.
- You can save a little money by purchasing 1, 20-foot piece, but it’s much harder to store transport.
- We bought a coupling tool to remove the PVC pipe once we were done so that we could reuse the parts. This set cost us $5, but you could maybe do without depending on the type of coupling (connector you use).
STEP 3. HOW TO MAKE A BALLOON ARCH STAND
This where it all comes together. How to build your balloon arch stand in just 3 quick steps: (it’s easier if there are 2 people helping).
- Connect the pieces of PVC pipe together with a coupling. If you use a PVC pipe connector, you don’t need any glue. Set aside.
- Find the place you want to build your arch. Ideally, you should choose to place it over a sidewalk, driveway or path.
- Place the 2 pieces of rebar on either side of the path or driveway.
- You’ll need a hammer to pound it firmly into the ground. *Make sure there is at least 12″ of rebar outside of the ground to keep the arch in place like this: If you do not have 2 areas of grass that you can place the rebar into, use outdoor umbrella stands to hold the PVC pipe.
- Slide the PVC onto one side of the rebar. Repeat with the other side. The PVC pipe will slide ride over the rebar like this:
Again, this is what the pvc pipe will look like before you attach the balloons:
STEP 4: INFLATE & ATTACH THE BALLOONS FOR ARCH
You will not need helium for your balloons–just lots of air!
The next year, I got smart and bought this electric balloon pump for under $20. I had 100+ balloons inflated and tied in about 20 minutes.
Do yourself a favor and invest in this balloon pump. It’s so worth it:
Tip: Inflate the balloons on your balloon arch site so you don’t have to transport all the filled balloons.
HOW TO ATTACH BALLOONS TO ARCH WITHOUT TAPE
Once the balloons for arch are filled up and tied, take two balloon and wrap the ties together, creating a bundle like this:
Repeat until all your balloons are in bunches of 2.
Then, you’ll take two sets of balloons and wrap them around the arch and each other until they are secure. If you do this well, you won’t need any tape to hold the balloons in place.
If you don’t have a tall enough ladder to attach the balloons after you have set it up, you can attach the balloons on the PVC pipe first and then place into the rebar. Your choice!
HOW LONG WILL BALLOON ARCHES LAST?
The actual arch will stay up for a while (given there’s no heavy wind), it’s the balloons you’ll need to be careful about. Heat from the sun can cause the balloons to pop after a few hours. So just keep that in mind.
I’ve only made a balloon arch on the 4th of July when it’s really hot, so if you make it in cooler temps, leave a comment and let us know how long it lasts. I’m betting that inside or cooler temps will help the balloons to stay in place much longer without direct sun on them.
YOU CAN MAKE A BALLOON ARCH ANYWHERE!
The greatest thing about this DIY Balloon Arch (besides that it’s so inexpensive to make) is that you can literally set this up anywhere! We set our 30-foot arch in our yard, but check out the balloon arch my sister made right in the middle of Central Park in New York City for their bike parade:
Don’t let your location stop you! A Balloon Arch can be set up nearly anywhere!
RAINBOW BALLOON ARCH
For a rainbow balloon arch, follow the same steps as listed above. Use red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet balloons in that order.
HOW EARLY CAN I SET UP MY ARCH?
Your arch can be set up as early as you want, but the balloons should not be put on the arch until a few hours ahead of your event, especially if you are going to put it up on a warm day.
DO THE BALLOONS NEED HELIUM?
No! You do not need helium in your balloons. The arch will hold the shape alone, so the balloons are merely for looks! Plus, you’ll save a lot of money by not getting helium-filled balloons.
HOW MANY BALLOONS WILL I NEED?
For a 20-foot arch, you’ll need 70-100 balloons. You can get away with around 70, but if you want the arch really full, you’ll want closer to 100.
For a 30-foot arch, you’ll need about 120.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO MAKE?
A balloon arch will cost you around $20, including balloons.
HOW TO MAKE A BALLOON ARCH WITH KITS
If you don’t have time to grab the supplies or energy to create your own balloon arch, no problem? You can always grab this balloon arch kit from Amazon right here.
- You’ll need ¾″ PVC pipe, couplings, rebar, and balloons.
- Secure the rebar into the ground and slide the arch onto the rebar.
- Attach the balloons to the arch using groups of 2 tied around the arch and each other.
- Take a lot of photos of your cheap, DIY balloon arch!
That’s how to make balloon arch stand at home, the park, or a party!
WANT PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS?