Making butter in a jar is easier than you think! Here’s everything you need to know how to make butter in a jar, an easy homemade butter recipe!
MAKING BUTTER IN A JAR
Learn how to churn your own butter in a mason jar for some good old-fashion fun for kids and adults alike.
This butter making activity is great for Pioneer Day and other pioneer heritage celebrations.
RELATED: 10 SIMPLE PIONEER DAY ACTIVITIES
WHAT YOU NEED FOR HOMEMADE BUTTER
Making butter in a jar only requires 2 basic ingredients, plus a jar.
- heavy cream
- salt (for salted butter)
- glass jar with lid (any size will work from baby food jar, mason jar, quart jar)
- clean marble (to speed up the churning process)
A clean marble will help your homemade butter in jar thicken faster than without. But this is totally optional. So if you don’t have one accessible, just know that you will need to shake the cream longer for your butter in jar to form.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BUTTER IN A JAR
To make butter in a jar, follow these simple steps:
- Fill a clean, glass jar half way full with heavy whipping cream. It does not matter the size of jar you use. Leaving the jar half empty will give enough room for the butter to form.
- If you want salted butter, add salt according to the recipe now.
- Place a marble if desired into the jar and then secure the lid.
- Now you’re ready to shake! Keep shaking the jar until it butter forms. For thicker butter, shake longer.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE BUTTER IN JAR?
Shake jar until a soft lump forms, about 15 to 20 minutes. Continue to shake until the buttermilk separates out of the lump and the jar has a solid lump of butter and liquid buttermilk.
You can pour out the buttermilk and use in any of your favorite recipes.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE BUTTER LAST?
Homemade butter in a jar will stay good for up to one week by keeping it in the refrigerator with the lid on.
DON’T FORGET TO TRY THESE OTHER RECIPES:
Enjoy this easy Homemade Butter Recipe! Please come back and leave a review with star rating so others can find this simple recipe, too. Thanks!Print
Make your own butter with this easy recipe.
- heavy cream
- mason jar with lid
- clean marble
- Fill a clean jar ½ full with cream. It does not matter the size of your jar, just make sure to only fill it half way so that there is room for the butter to form. Secure the lid on tight.
- For unsalted butter, start shaking until butter forms.
- For salted butter, add ¼ tsp. salt for every 1 cup cream you add to your jar.
- Pro tip: to speed up the churning process, add a small clean marble into the jar to help the butter form faster.