Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe for your Pie Day celebrations on March 14th...or any other night you need a good, homecooked comfort meal!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Do you celebrate Pie Day on March 14th? Pie Day is March 14th because pi in math = 3.14. Whether you're a math nerd or not, Pie Day is a fun way to celebrate with family and friends.
Easy ways to celebrate Pie Day include:
- Eating pie for dinner- like this delicious easy Chicken pot pie
- Hosting a pie party with family or friends
- Having a pie eating contest
- Getting your nerd on and memorizing the numbers in pi
So let's talk about this delicious Chicken Pot Pie!
It's always been on my bucket list to try making a chicken pot pie and by golly, I'm not sure why it took me so long to try. I was afraid it would be super complicated or overwhelming, but making this pot pie was not at all.
I mean, it really does help having the motivation of Pie Day, but I could see myself making this throughout the year for new moms or when my own family needs a comforting, home-cooked meal.
- uncooked pie crust
- chicken broth
- red potatoes
- wheat or white flour
- frozen peas
- chicken, cooked and diced
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN POT PIE
The steps are quite easy for making this homemade Chicken Pot Pie.
First, cook some chicken.
But..you could do this step ahead of time and add it to the pie when you need it. (I like to keep some cooked and chopped chicken in the freezer or if I'm really in a pinch, I'll cook some quickly in my Instant Pot. Gotta love, fast, hands-free cooking, especially when it comes to meat!)
Then you'll saute some veggies, add in some broth and potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes.
You'll pour it all into a pre-made pie crust (you could always make your own, but this saves a lot of time by buying a pre-made, unbaked crust).
You can make one large pot pie, or for individual servings, use ramekins.
It's totally optional, but you can make a cute Pi symbol in the crust for extra festiveness, like this:
Oh yeah. I can just taste this by looking at it. Serve these pot pies warm with your favorite salad for a fun dinner on Pie Day!
Before I forget, here's a few other popular and easy Pie recipes you'll love!
More Pie Recipes You'll Love
Chicken Pot Pie RecipePrint
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- 2 uncooked pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 red potatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup wheat flour
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Cook and dice chicken.
- Spray a pie dish and then line with one pie crust. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add in carrots, onion and basil and cook for 8 minutes, until tender.
- Pour in broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water and whisk together. Return pototo mixture to boil and then add in flour mixture. Cook 1 minute until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, peas and s/p. Cook until thickens.
- Pour into pie dish or ramekins.
- Place top crust over the chicken mixture and seal the ends. Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Gently brush crust with milk.
- Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. *For ramekins, bake slightly less.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: main dish
Keywords: pot pie, chicken pot pie
Let us know what you think!