Looking for a creative baby shower gift? These cute and practical Newborn Survival Kits are simple and inexpensive to put together. The new moms and dads will love getting all the essentials they need to survive that newborn stage!
*This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Newborn Survival Kits for Mom and Dad
Alright, so you’re looking for a fun and creative gift for a baby shower. The baby will get showered indeed– new clothes, toys, books, etc.
So why not give a little something to help mom and dad with the transition to parenthood, too?
I received a hospital survival kit before I had my first baby and it was so fun to receive some things I never would have thought to get.
I’ve since thought of a few other fun items to make the entire newborn phase a little bit more survivable– because let’s be honest. Isn’t it all about survival those first few weeks when you’re sleep deprived and exhausted?
What You Need to Make a Newborn Survival Kit:
There’s no right or wrong way to create a Newborn Survival Kit, but here’s a few ideas to help you get started. Many of these items can be found at the dollar store or while you are doing your normal grocery shopping.
Mom’s Newborn Survival Kit Ideas:
- water bottle – to help her quench her never-ending thirst
- nursing cream – there’s a good chance she’ll get sore if breastfeeding
- face wipes – she won’t have time for long face washes
- notebook – to jot down all those precious first memories
- Redbox code or book or magazine- something to look at while nursing
- Hershey’s Kisses – she’ll be smothering her baby in kisses, but she deserves some, too!
- Body spray- for a quick freshen-up
- lotion – to smell fresh even when she doesn’t get a shower
- Midnight snack – in case she gets hungry during those late night feedings
- paper plates – she deserves a break from dishes!
- socks or slippers- hospitals can be cold!
- large basket or gift bag
Dad’s Newborn Survival Kit Ideas:
- Dad’s Rootbeer – congrats, he’s a dad!
- Diaper sacks – to help out with diaper duty
- Reisens – he’ll instantly have a million Reisens to love his new baby (and wife even more!)
- Mac N’ Cheese – when a quick dinner is in order
- Hand Sanitizer – to make sure to keep those germs away!
- Snacks – something to munch on while his wife’s in labor
- Gift Card – to purchase any last minute baby essentials
- Puzzle book – something to stay busy during labor
- Hop on Pop- so he can read baby their first book
- Gum- to ensure fresh breath as he’s coaching his wife through labor
- Basket or large gift bag
Assemble Your Newborn Survival Kit
Once you’ve gathered the items, print and cut out these cute Newborn Survival Kit tags to each item.
Each tag has a description of how that item will help them out!
Editable Newborn Survival Kit Tags!
- 10 editable gift tags for Mom in 2 color options
- 10 editable gift tags for Dad in 2 color options
- If you don’t like the gifts or colors, you’ll get an editable file to change!
You can get the printable tags right here for just a few dollars. Buy once and use over and over for all any baby shower you need a gift for.
After having 4 babies, we’ve found what we’ve loved and haven’t. You can see our list of favorite baby items we’ve used over and over if you need some more inspiration!