Sockin’ Around the Christmas Tree…. gather your friends or family for an original Christmas party idea they’ve never seen before! You’ve heard about Ugly Sweater parties–how about an ugly sock party? Read on for all the party details including: decorations, simple food ideas, game ideas and printables!
An Ugly Sock Party
Ugly sweater parties are all the rage these days. And while I like an ugly sweater party just as much as the next gal, sometimes finding an ugly sweater can be a bit overwhelming. Or, if you have children, maybe having the pressure to find ugly sweaters for your entire family is not in the budget.
Welcome to the Ugly Sock Party!
I’ve had this original party idea in my head for years now and last year I pulled it off with a fun group of friends.
Today, I’m sharing the details and how you can throw your own “Sockin’ Around the Christmas Tree’ party!
Why An Ugly Sock Party will Knock Your Socks Off
- Holiday socks are cheap. You can even find holiday socks at the dollar store! Outfitting yourself (or your family) for an ugly sock party is budget-friendly.
- Holiday socks are everywhere! You won’t need to go from store to store to find the best sweater. Christmas socks are everywhere! You will be able to pick up a pair while you are doing your normal shopping. And if you run out of time and forget until the last minute to grab a pair, there’s a good chance you could find a pair at your local grocery store or pharmacy.
- Holiday socks can be just as ugly. There are some pretty funny/wierd/ugly Christmas socks out there. The uglier the better.
- Wearing holiday socks are easy. While ugly sweater are not for everyone (some people just can’t get into that sort of thing!), an ugly sock party will appear to a much bigger audience! Your guests can wear their socks to work all day, be ready for the party, and not even feel a bit embarrassed. In short, you will probably have more guests participate because socks are just less of a statement.
Easy Decoration Ideas
Great news! The decorations for this Christmas Sock Party are so simple!
Here are some easy decoration ideas:
- Clothesline or jute
- mini Christmas trees
- paper bags for candy
- letter board, chalkboard, or sign for “Sockin’ Around the Christmas tree”
Tips to Keep Your Sock Party Simple
Don’t make all the treats!
To keep your party simple, buy some of the party food already made. You can pick up some Christmas goodies at your local bakery, such as these. You can take them out of the plastic packaging and place on a fun tray, making them look like you spent hours on them, even though you didn’t.
Tip: You could also ask your guests to bring a favorite Christmas snack to keep it simpler for you!
You can easily embellish a pair of dollar store socks by adding a jingle bell or pom-poms or other craft items to make your socks extra tacky. Adding a few extra touches take these Christmas socks to the next level! And so simply!
Christmas Sock Party Invitations
You can get everyone excited for the party by sending out Sock Party Invites! You can keep the invitations simple by sending a text or email, or you could use these cute Sockin’ Around The Christmas Tree invitations. Just print and fill out the details! You can grab the printable invitations here.
Christmas Party Game Ideas
There are so many fun Christmas party game ideas you could incorporate into your sock party! Here are just a few you’ll love!
- Gift Auction– this is one of our all-time favorite Christmas party games! This game is perfect for any age! This gift auction is a fun way to exchange white elephant gifts. Or you can provide all the gifts yourself. Get all the details of How to Do a Gift Auction right here.
- Guessing Jar – This super simple party game is a family favorite and I think you’ll love it, too! Get a cute jar and fill it with some holiday candy. Small pieces are preferable, so that the pieces are harder to count. Have everyone make a guess of how many pieces of candy are in the jar. The closest person wins!
And don’t forget the Christmas Sock Awards!
Since your guests are going to go all out to wear Christmas socks, you’ve got to give out awards, right? Make sure you give out Christmas Sock awards! You can decide on any categories you’d like- from ugliest, cheesiest, comfiest, best-all around, etc.
You can use these Sock Party Voting cards that party-goers can cast their vote in 4 categories: Most Tacky, Most Comfy, Most Festive, Best All-Around and a blank spot for your own choice.
Attach these awards to any prize of your choosing!
Print off these cute awards and attach them to a small gift or treat as the award for the winners in each category.
Would you like to throw your own Ugly Christmas Sock Party?
I’ve created an Ugly Christmas Sock Party Pack that includes all the printables you need to host your own party!
What’s included in the Party Pack:
- Printable Sock Party Invitations
- Printable Voting Cards
- Printable Awards
- Printable “Christmas Cash” for your fun Christmas gift auction.
Don’t forget to show off your socks!
I’d absolutely love to see your Ugly Sock parties! Tag @sofestive on social media for a chance to be featured!