*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Making sugar cookies is easy with this simple recipe for cookies and frosting! These soft sugar cookies are perfect for decorating at a Halloween party or with your family for a fun activity!
WHAT IF YOU COULD SIMPLIFY THE SUGAR COOKIE PROCESS?
You’re in luck, my friend!
This simple sugar cookie and frosting recipe is a keeper!
But come Halloween time or any time for that matter, I
A family that decorates cookies together stays together. 😉
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
- The dough requires only normal ingredients you’ll have in your pantry.
- The recipe calls for margarine. (I usually avoid using margarine at all cost, but in this case, the margarine actually makes the cookies better.) So go ahead and use it. And save some $ in the process.
- You can make the dough in advance and keep it chilled until you have time to roll and cut the cookies out into these festive Halloween cookie cutters.
- Once the cookies are baked, you can freeze them up to a week long until you are ready to frost and decorate.
HALLOWEEN COOKIE DECORATING TIPS
Once you’ve baked your Halloween cookies, it’s time to decorate! Decorating sugar cookies can be a fun activity for a family night or Halloween party. Simply lay out your favorite cookie toppings and frosting and let everyone create their masterpiece!
Some of our favorite toppings include-
- candy corn
- Halloween colored sprinkles
- Fall M&Ms
- chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows
- Homemade buttercream frosting — recipe below!
Tip: Place colored frosting in a few different bowls around the table so everyone isn’t waiting on the same color. Also, use plastic knives for easy cleanup.
HOMEMADE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Ok, so there is no shame in buying frosting.
If you want your Halloween cookies to be AMAZING, please make your own frosting!
This simple recipe will only take a few minutes to make. And you can keep it stored in the fridge for a few weeks.
It’s so good!Print
Amazing and simple buttercream frosting great for decorating cookies with.
You can make this frosting ahead of time and keep in the fridge until ready to decorate.
AMAZING SOFT SUGAR COOKIE RECIPEPrint
Soft sugar cookies perfect for holiday-shaped cookies. The dough can be made in advance and cookies can be frozen prior to decorating.
- 1 lb. margarine (don’t use butter!)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cream eggs, butter, and sugar first.
- Add remaining ingredients one at a time.
- Refrigerate dough for a few hours or overnight.
- Roll the dough on a powder-sugared surface and cut into holiday shapes.
- Bake at 350 for 8-9 minutes or longer if you want them crispier.
- Frost the cookies once cool or freeze them until ready to decorate. When freezing, place a piece of wax paper between each layer so that the cookies don’t stick to each other. Let thaw for a few hours and then frost and decorate.
I don’t usually use margarine for cooking, but in this case, I promise that margarine will make the cookies turn out better.
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: sugar cookies, Halloween