3 simple secrets to making the BEST HOT DOGS ever. Perfect for camping trips or backyard BBQs!
*This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE BEST-TASTING HOT DOG?
I’m guessing if you are reading this, that you love hot dogs or you want to know how to make a hot dog actually taste good. You’re in luck!
I used to hate hot dogs! Until I tried a J Dawg in Utah and was surprised that I not only enjoyed eating them, but now this is the only way we eat them.
3 SECRETS TO AMAZING HOT DOGS
1. Quality Hot Dogs
The first step to an amazing hot dog is to have an amazing hot dog. No matter what special sauces or condiments or toppings you put on your hot dog, if they are still the really cheep beef/pork/chicken hot dogs, you will be disappointed!
I know the price is hard to beat, but trust me on this one. Splurge and buy an all-beef hot dog.
Tip: Costco sells a package of 30 all-beef hot dogs for around $10. That’s a good way to go!
Our favorite hot dog brands include: Kirkland 100% beef hot dogs (from Costco), Nathan’s, or Hebrew Nationals. My husband and I love also Costco’s Polish dogs that you can find in the refrigerated section if you like a more flavorful hot dog.
2. Slot Dog Hot Dog Cutter
Second, cut your hot dogs. This extra step only takes a few minutes and makes them taste so much better.
I’m convinced this cutting is key to a delicious dog. The cutting makes the insides get cooked through and almost become carmelized. The added texture is a bonus and makes them not taste mushy.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CRISS-CROSS CUTS IN YOUR HOT DOGS
A few months ago, I realized that SlotDog is simpler way to make the criss-cross cuts for you! And guess what? I did something I’ve never done before and reached out to the company to see if I could review their product. Since we’ve already been cutting them this way for years, I thought having something to make the process quicker and simpler might be worth it.
Turns out I was right. I was thrilled that the SlotDog were so easy to use that even I could do it! Usually, my husband is the designated hot dog cutter. 😉
I cut up all of our hot dogs in a matter of minutes. They were ready for the grill much quicker than cutting by hand.
Here’s what they look like on the grill…
P.S. If you’re looking for a Father’s Day gift idea and you know a guy who loves hot dogs, gift him a SLOTDOG!
3. Hot Dog SPECIAL SAUCE
Finally, you’ll need special sauce to take those hot dogs from good to amazing! J Dawgs made this special sauce popular, but we were so happy to find a copycat recipe that tastes just as good.
Simply drizzle this special sauce over your cooked hot dog for a unique flavor. No additional ketchup or mustard required! However, I highly recommend adding dill pickles and chopped onions!
ONE MORE TIME- HOW TO MAKE THE BEST-TASTING HOT DOG!
- Buy all-beef or Polish dogs. If you want to enjoy a hot dog, get the good stuff. (We love the giant pack at Costco. They freeze well and are pretty inexpensive.)
- Chop up some onions and slice dill pickles.
- Make a big batch of Hot Dog Special Sauce (recipe below.) You can store it in a condiment bottle like this one or pick one up at a kitchen supply store.
- Cut the hot dogs in a criss-cross pattern using the directions above or using this hot dog cutter
- Grill or cook on a campfire.
- Once your hot dog is cooked, top with onions, pickles, and the hot dog special sauce.
- Eat the best hot dog of your life!!
- Serve with one of our favorite summer salads: Simple Spinach Tortellini Salad or Summer Salad with Candied Almonds
Hot Dog Special Sauce RecipePrint
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. mustard (prepared, not powdered)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently.
- Once it is cool, pour into a condiment bottle and serve. You can also store it in the fridge. (Double the recipe to make a full bottle’s worth.)