*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Poke Cake with jello is an incredibly easy dessert for the 4th of July (or any other occasion).
EASY PATRIOTIC POKE CAKE WITH JELLO
Meet the most festive 4th of July dessert- a Jello Poke Cake.
Have you had this before? Even if you aren’t a huge fan of Jello (like Rainbow Jello or Jello Eggs), you will still like this cake. Because the Jello gives this patriotic dessert extra flavor, fun colors, and adds a great texture to your flag cake.
Add this recipe to your 4th of July Menu. Or make it for American Flag Day on June 14th.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS POKE CAKE WITH JELLO
- This jello cake is so moist and flavorful.
- The cake tastes best when it’s chilled. That means you can make this a few days in advance so you can actually enjoy your holiday.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS DESSERT FOR THE 4TH OF JULY
- 1 yellow cake mix (or you favorite yellow cake recipe) baked
- 3 oz. box red Jello (strawberry or Raspberry)
- 3 oz. box blue Jello (blue raspberry)
- 8 oz. Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream
- blueberries, raspberries or strawberries for the Flag top
Step 1: Bake your favorite white or yellow cake.
It can be from scratch or a cake mix from the store. No judgement here. We personally like yellow cake mix better, so it’s more moist.
Pro tip: Although I usually use this amazing 9×13 pan for most baking, when it comes to this cake, use a glass 9×13 pan so that the fun colors will show through!
Step 2: Poke holes.
Yes, your pretty baked cake is no longer going to look pretty. Use the back of a wooden spoon to poke holes throughout the cake. The more holes, the better! Be sure to leave at least a little space in between each hole.
It will look like this:
Step 3: Pour Jello into the holes.
You will mix the Jello with some boiling water and then let it seep through all those holes you just made. Repeat with blue jello if you want red and blue.
Step 4: Cover with whipped topping and make a flag.
You can use fresh whipped cream or Cool whip. Give it a good, even spread.
Make a flag design using blueberries and raspberries or strawberries. If you’re like me, no matter how hard you try, you won’t be able to get perfectly straight lines. But guess what? It’s still festive and no one will care. Or at least they shouldn’t.
CAN THIS 4TH OF JULY DESSERT BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
You bet! You can make this cake up to 2 days early. In fact, the longer it can chill the better it gets.
Just wait to add the berries until right before serving so that the berry juice doesn’t smear.
OTHER 4TH OF JULY RECIPES TO ADD TO YOUR RECIPE BOOK:
A patriotic and yummy cake that is full of flavor and fun!
- 1 yellow or white cake, baked in 9×13 pan
- 1 small box red jello
- 1 small box blue jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- whipped cream
- raspberries or strawberries
- Bake the cake and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Poke holes into the cake using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Boil water and mix 1 cup with red jello and 1 cup with blue jello, in separate bowls. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Carefully pour over cake layers. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Top with cream and berries.
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: Jello Cake, Poke Cake, 4th of July dessert, cake