Teach kids all about the first Thanksgiving with these adorable and yummy Mayflower Munch snack bags. Each snack represents a part of the story from the First Thanksgiving.
*This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Simple Thanksgiving Snack Ideas
Need a quick, last minute Thanksgiving favor or something to snack on while the Turkey is cooking? If you don’t have time for these Quick Turkey Craft Bag favors or Mini Mayflowers, how about some Mayflower Munch?
This Thanksgiving Snack Mix is a fun way to teach about the pilgrims since each item represents something from the First Thanksgiving.
Why you’ll be grateful for this simple idea:
- Not only is this Thanksgiving Snack Mix mostly healthy and won’t spoil your appetite
- It’s quick to put together.
- All you need are a handful of ingredients listed below and some clear pretzel rod bags, found at any craft store.
Each item in the snack bag represents something from the First Thanksgiving.
What you’ll need for Mayflower Munch:
- Annie’s bunny crackers
- sunflower seeds
- clear pretzel rod bags like these ones
Here are a few ideas for your Thanksgiving Snack Mix and what they represent from the first Thanksgiving:
- Malt Balls– the New World they wanted to go to for freedom of religion
- Mini pretzels– praying hands
- Oyster crackers– the dry bread and crackers they ate on the Mayflower
- Stick pretzels– logs used to build homes
- Mini marshmallows– snow the first winter
- Candy corn and goldfish– How squanto helped the pilgrims learn how to plant corn by putting fish in with the seeds
- Teddy grahams or Annie’s bunny snacks– the wild animals they had to deal with in the New World
- Raisins or craisins– Squanto taught them how to find wild berries and dry them for winter
- Peanuts or sunflower seeds– seeds for harvest for the next year
- Bugles corn snacks– horn of plenty for the harvest
Printable “The Story of The First Thanksgiving” Cards
Take it one step further and attach a card to the Mayflower Munch so that everyone can learn about the First Thanksgiving. These adorable printable cards highlight the main points of the story of the First Thanksgiving and give some insight into why each snack is included in the Mayflower Munch.
A few ways you can use them:
- Attach a card to each Snack Bag
- Place a copy by the snack bowl (if you don’t do individual favors)
- Place one on each plate at dinner and see if children can match each item in their snack mix to the part of the story.
You can grab a set of these instant download printable cards right here.
Short on time?
If you don’t have time to make individual favor bags, put each item in a separate bowl and let everyone make their own Mayflower Munch! Or, mix all the snacks together in a giant bowl for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner snack mix!
I hope you enjoy this simple way to learn about the First Thanksgiving!