*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Teach kids all about the first Thanksgiving with these adorable and yummy Mayflower Munch snack bags. Each snack represents a part of the story!
A GREAT WAY TO LEARN ABOUT THE FIRST THANKSGIVING
Need a quick, last minute Thanksgiving favor or something to snack on while the Turkey is cooking? If you don’t have time for these Quick Turkey Craft Bag favors or Mini Mayflower Nut Cups, then you’ll love this Mayflower Munch!
This Thanksgiving Snack Mix is a fun way to teach about the pilgrims since each item represents something from the First Thanksgiving.
WHY YOU’LL BE GRATEFUL FOR THIS SIMPLE THANKSGIVING SNACK:
- This Thanksgiving Snack Mix is mostly healthy and won’t spoil your appetite for your big feast.
- It’s quick to put together.
- All you need are a handful of ingredients listed below and some clear pretzel rod bags found here.
MAYFLOWER MUNCH INGREDIENTS
Each item in the snack bag represents something from the First Thanksgiving, making it a fun and yummy way to teach kids!
Feel free to adjust the snacks as you wish, but this is what I used:
- mini marshmallows
- raisins or craisins
- Annie’s bunny crackers or Teddy Grahams
- sunflower seeds
- Clear Pretzel Rod Bags
WHAT EACH SNACK REPRESENTS
- Malt Balls– the New World they wanted to go to for freedom of religion
- Mini pretzels– praying hands seeking for religious freedom
- Oyster crackers– the dry bread and crackers they ate on the Mayflower
- Stick pretzels– logs used to build homes
- Mini marshmallows– snow the first winter
- Candy corn and goldfish– How squanto helped the pilgrims learn how to plant corn by putting fish in with the seeds
- Teddy grahams or Annie’s bunny snacks– the wild animals they had to deal with in the New World
- Raisins or craisins– Squanto taught them how to find wild berries and dry them for winter
- Peanuts or sunflower seeds– seeds for harvest for the next year
- Bugles corn snacks– horn of plenty for the harvest
PRINTABLE MAYFLOWER MUNCH QUICK GUIDE
Take it one step further and attach a card to the Mayflower Munch so that everyone can learn about the First Thanksgiving. These adorable printable cards highlight the main points of the story of the First Thanksgiving and give some insight into why each snack is included in the Mayflower Munch.
HOW TO USE THEM:
- Attach a card to each Mayflower Munch Snack Bag
- Place a copy by the snack bowl (if you don’t do individual bags)
- Place one on each plate at dinner and see if children can match each item in their snack mix to the part of the story.
SHORT ON TIME?
If you don’t have time to make individual favor bags, put each item in a separate bowl and let everyone make their own Mayflower Munch! Or, mix all the snacks together in a giant bowl for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner snack mix!
I hope you enjoy this simple way to learn about Thanksgiving!