Looking for a cheap Christmas gift for a neighbor? Or how about an easy family tradition? Not only will this Danish Christmas tradition bring some extra hygge to your December, but it will help you keep Christ in Christmas, too!
Countdown Christmas Candle Tradition
One of my favorite childhood Christmas traditions as a little girl was gathering together in the living room with my family to do our Scripture Advent verse for the night.
Our advent candle was a tall, tapered candle with 24 marks on it. Each night, we would burn the candle while reading a specific scripture about Christ for that night. We would only burn the candle as far down as the next mark. Then each night we would repeat until we reached Christmas. Once the candle was gone, Christmas was here!
Kalenderlys- A Danish Christmas Tradition
It's not surprising since we have some Danish blood in our family that my parents would want to carry on this favorite Christmas tradition originating in Denmark! Called Kalenderlys, families in Denmark light these numbered candles every day leading up to Christmas. In other words, it's another form of an advent calendar.
What's a better way to create some extra hygge this time of year than by using your own advent candle!
25 Days of Christ Scriptures
While the Christmas calendar candle was burning, we would read the assigned verses that talked about an attribute of Christ. Among all the other fun and festive traditions my family had, this was one that would really help us center our thoughts on Christ during the season.
You can get this printable at the end of the post.
DIY Advent Candle
Do you want to start this Christmas tradition for your own family? Or want to create one for a simple and cheap neighbor Christmas gift?
Here's how you can make your own Christmas calendar candles!
While you can certainly order some online, this diy option will save you tons of money especially if you want to give them for gifts!
Numbered Advent Candle Supplies:
- 12" white taper candle (sometimes you can find them at the Dollar Tree)
- Black or red Sharpie
- Scripture Advent Printable
- Red and white Baker's twine or ribbon
Click on the images to have the supplies delivered to your door!
Directions For DIY Christmas Candle Advent Calendar :
1. Using a ruler, mark a small dot on the candle every ½ inch. (This is why a 12-inch candle is perfect.) After your guide dots are made, go back and make the dots as thick as you like. Optional: you can write the number next to each dot (starting at 1 at the top).
2. Print off the Scripture Advent Calendar printable
3. To make this advent candle a gift, roll up the scripture advent printable with baker's twine and attach it to the candle. You can even add a few matches for extra cuteness.
$1 Neighbor Gift Idea
For under $1, you can give this advent candles countdown to your neighbors and friends. Talk about a sweet, thoughtful, and practical neighbor gift.
You can make them now and deliver them before December so that's one less thing to do during the busiest month of the year.