Looking for a festive and simple Fourth of July breakfast idea? These “flag waffles” are just about as patriotic as you can get. Flag waffles are easy to make and a whole lot of fun to decorate and eat.
Super Festive Fourth of July Breakfast!
The Fourth of July is coming and that means red, white, and blue everything, right? It’s no secret that this holiday is my very favorite. I tend to go overboard when it comes to all the festive food we eat. (Have you seen my free Fourth of July Favorite Foods menu? You can grab it here. )
Anyways, flag waffles are a family favorite. When we aren’t rushing off to a parade and have time for a longer breakfast, we love decorating flag waffles! Quite honestly, I’m not sure if you can get more patriotic than eating a flag for breakfast, now can you? 😉
If you don’t have time for waffles, check out these patriotic parfaits.
Fourth of July Flag Waffle Bar
You can easily set up a 4th of July waffle bar and then let your family or guests create their own waffle!
What you need to make Fourth of July Flag Waffles:
- Best waffle recipe (see both wheat and white flour options below)
- Whipped cream or cool whip (to simplify you can even buy the spray variety)
- Rectangle waffle iron
How to Make Your Flag Waffles
- Make your favorite waffles. If you want to really simplify, buy some pre-made, frozen waffles.
- Set out all of your flag waffles toppings. This can be done the night before to simplify.
- Add blueberries in the upper left corner.
- Alternate red raspberries and whipped cream on each of the remaining stripes.
Tip: Let kids get involved in decorating their flag waffles. No one says the flags have to be perfect, but there isn’t anything wrong if they are. 🙂
Fresh blueberries and raspberries are just the right size to decorate with.
100% WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLE RECIPE
If you are in the market for a good whole wheat recipe, try this one out. It comes from @marcicooks over on Instagram. And it’s our very favorite! It’s healthy and wholesome.
Quick tip: Prepare the dry mix ahead of time to save you time the morning of. Or, make a batch and freeze them up to a week in advance. They will be all ready to go for your 4th of July breakfast!Print
- 1 ½ cups 100% whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cup almond milk (or regular)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg, vanilla, and honey together.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Stir in coconut oil last.
original recipe from @marcicooks
EVERYDAY WAFFLE RECIPEPrint
Basic waffle recipe using white flour.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ¾ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup canola oil
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until completely mixed.
- Cook on a hot waffle iron.
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: waffles, basic waffle recipe
Yay for Fourth of July Flag Waffles! I want to see your 4th of July festivities. Tag your photos on Instagram with @sofestive and #celebratesimpler. Can’t wait to see!