*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
This Wild Rice & Chicken Soup is a quick comfort meal perfect for chilly nights.
SUPER EASY WILD RICE CHICKEN SOUP
Gotta love Utah weather. One day it’s hot and sunny and the next, it snows. Yep! We woke up to lots and lots of snow on tax day this year. Quite honestly, I didn’t mind. I know it won’t last and it gave us a great excuse to stay in comfy clothes all day and make Wild Rice Chicken Soup for dinner. This is probably our family’s favorite soup (although we have some other good ones that are up there.)
Wild Rice Chicken Soup is the ultimate comfort food on a snowy, cold day. And I may have some nostalgia when it comes to this soup, too. We received this soup as a freezer meal a few years ago when I was pregnant with Evelyn. Yet, it never made it to the freezer because it was gone the night it was delivered.
JUST NEED BASIC INGREDIENTS
What I love about this soup is that the ingredients are very basic…and most of the time I have them all on hand.
So if you are ever in the predicament of “what’s for dinner?” you can whip this up in no time, without needing to get any fancy ingredients from the store.
- Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice Soup box (about 88 cents per box)
- Shredded cooked chicken (keep some cooked in the freezer)
- Half & half or used evaporated milk
FAST BREAD OPTIONS
If you’re like me, you’ll want some warm bread to go along with this tasty wild rice and chicken soup.
I’m not always good at planning ahead, so that’s why I love this quick breadstick recipe. You can have warm breadsticks on your plate in about 30 minutes.
Maybe we’ll get lucky with another snow day so we have an excuse to make this again really soon! 🙂Print
A comforting and hearty soup that can be made quickly…perfect for quick weeknight dinners.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup cream or half and half
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 package Uncle Bens Wild Rice Soup
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Cook wild rice according to package directions with bouillon cube. You can throw it in a rice cooker to make it easy!
- Saute carrots, onions, and celery in butter until tender. Add flour slowly and stir until thickened. Add broth and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken, cooked rice, and cream. Warm thoroughly for at least 5 minutes. Turn to low until ready to serve. The soup will thicken up. Make sure not to boil it.
- This soup freezes well, so you can make it ahead of time and pull out just in time for your party.
This soup freezes well, so make a double batch and freeze half for another meal.
Warm breadsticks start to finish in 30 minutes!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (or less)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt.
- melted butter, Salad Supreme, garlic salt, Parmesan cheese or a combination
Put the warm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Let the yeast dissolve completely.
Add 4 cups flour and 1 tsp. salt. Stir and mix until combined. The dough will be sticky.
Roll directly onto a greased and floured cookie sheet. Sprinkle with seasonings of your choice (melted butter, Salad Supreme, garlic salt, Parmesan cheese or a combination).
Let rise at least 20 minutes (if you have more time, let it rise longer.)
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until light golden brown.
You can also use this for pizza crust or with cinnamon and glaze for a quick dessert pizza.
- Category: Bread