Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Family Home Evening Lessons
Free St. Patrick’s Day Family Home Evening Lessons!
St. Patrick’s Day Family Home Evening Lessons
First, what is family home evening?
One of our family traditions is to hold a weekly family home evening. We dedicate one night a week to family time. We have a lesson (usually it’s short since our kids are little), an activity or game and a treat if we are really lucky. We talk about principles that can help our family be good or things we can work on. Currently we’ve been talking about being kind and obeying since we are in the terrible, I mean terrific- three-year-old stage. Ha! Our family home evenings are very informal. We sit on the floor and laugh and sing songs. Mostly its a time to be together as a family.
When there is a holiday coming up, I like to have holiday-themed lessons. I created this St. Patrick’s Day Family Home Evening Lesson last year and thought I’d share it with you here in case you want to do it on Monday night with your family.
2 Free Printable Lessons
St. Patrick’s Day Family Home Evening Lesson Ideas. I’ve given just a brief snippet here of what each lesson entails.
For the full lesson versions with printables, download at the end of the post!
Lesson Idea #1 : Noah’s Ark (Genesis 6-9)/ Rainbows
- Show a picture of Noah building the ark and talk about how the people were wicked. God told Noah to tell them to repent and to build an ark.
- Talk about how Noah was obedient and built the ark. He put 2 of each animal on the ark. God sent a flood and all the people died except those on the ark because they were obedient.
- The earth dried up again and God made a covenant with Noah that he would never destroy the earth with a flood again. A rainbow is a sign to help us remember that he will keep his promise to not flood the earth again.
Things to talk about: obedience, following the prophet, keeping promises
- Make a rainbow craft
- Have a rainbow/color dinner or ice cream bar with colored toppings.
- Decorate rainbow cupcakes.
Lesson Idea #2: St. Patrick and Shamrocks
- Read or tell the brief history of St. Patrick (attached in the PDF)
- Explain that St. Patrick’ life was a hard one but because he never stopped having faith he was able to be guided to do wonderful things.
- Explain that he used the shamrock to teach about the Godhead. There are 3 members of the Godhead: Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.
- Repeat the Article of Faith #1: “We Believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.”
- Talk about how the shamrock has 3 separate leaves, but are joined together on the same stem. They are separate beings, but they are one in purpose.
- Explain how just as St. Patrick was a good missionary, we can be a good missionary,too.
- Each family member can write or draw things they are “lucky” to have. Then everyone tell each other what they wrote. Explain that the things we are “lucky” to have are really blessings from Heavenly Father. He wants us to be happy and he blesses us if we keep his commandments and work hard to do what is right.
- Go on a treasure hunt for the treats at the end of the rainbow (Skittles). Write a clue on a different colored piece of paper (the colors of the rainbow) and at the end of the “rainbow” there is a treat.
- Play Hide and Seek. The person who is it is a leprechaun that everyone tries to find.
- Find the coin. Hide a chocolate coin and try and find it using “Hot and Cold”
- Make Green Mean Machines –Our favorite St. Patrick’s Day treat!
Ready to download the Free Printable Lessons for St. Patrick’s Day?