*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Spread some Halloween cheer this year with the Friendly Neighborhood Ghost- a simple way to anonymously leave goodies on your neighbor’s doorsteps!
The Friendly Phantom Ghost is a fun tradition that everyone will love!
The Friendly Neighborhood Ghost- A Fun Family Tradition
Ready to spread Halloween cheer throughout your neighborhood. Have you ever heard of the Phantom or the Friendly Neighborhood Ghost? Or in more recent years, it’s been called “You’ve been boo-ed!”
This tradition goes way back…
My family started the friendly Neighborhood Phantom Ghost each Halloween ever since I remember. We would pile into the station wagon (hated that car!), dressed in our jammies and a treat in tow.
We carefully selected who the Phantom should go to each year. We usually chose 2 or 3 houses to spread the Halloween cheer to. Then we’d take turns setting the treat on the doorstep, with copies of the Phantom poem, ringing the doorbell, and running and hiding as fast as we could so we wouldn’t get caught.
We loved watching the Phantom spread throughout the neighborhood. And most years, it would come back to us. So we’d get to do it all over again.
Starting the Phantom as a little girl with my mom and siblings was one of our all-time favorite traditions!
You can create your own fun family memories by starting the friendly ghost in your neighborhood.
How to start the Halloween Neighborhood Phantom Ghost :
2. Prepare 2 sets of Halloween goodies. (Treat ideas below!) And attach the printables to your goodies.
3. Put the treats on the door step, ring or knock the door, and then run! The trick is to not get caught.
4. Those who have received the Phantom should put this Phantom sign on their door, so that the Phantom won’t stop again. Watch the Phantom Ghost spread through your neighborhood!
Simple Halloween Goodie Ideas
Your Phantom treats can be as simple or elaborate as you’d like. You may want to leave only store-bought treats if you don’t know your neighbors well (would you want to eat a homemade treat from a stranger?) But if your neighborhood is close, then homemade goodies are great, too!
Here’s a few ideas of some of our favorite treats to leave:
- Caramel apple kits- apples and caramels (if you want a homemade caramel sauce, this is the absolute best!)
- Root beer and vanilla ice cream
- Our favorite soft Halloween sugar cookies
- Ingredients for Frankenstein Floats
- Halloween oreos
- Caramel Popcorn
- Halloween Rice Krispy treats
Start thinking of who you can leave the Phantom for this year! It will make your night and theirs, too!
This post is part of our 31 Days of Halloween series. Click here for all the other simple & festive ideas!