*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Spread some Halloween by “Boo-ing” your neighbors! Grab these super cute free printable “You’ve Been Booed” signs to start this fun Halloween tradition. Be sure to check out the simple treat ideas, too!
READY TO START A FUN FAMILY HALLOWEEN TRADITION?
Have you ever been booed? Like when you hear a knock on the front door and open it to find a Halloween treat?
And then you get to return the favor by choosing someone to “Boo!” by leaving a treat anonymously.
Boo-ing neighbors has become really popular in the last few years. It’s an easy way to spread some cheer throughout your neighborhood.
Other Fun Halloween Service Ideas:
YOU’VE BEEN BOOED GOES WAY BACK!
When I was a little girl, my family called this Halloween activity “The Phantom”- the friendly Neighborhood Ghost. My mom would pile us into the station wagon to start Booing a few neighbors.
We carefully selected who the Phantom should go to each year. We usually chose 2 or 3 houses to spread the Halloween cheer to. Then we’d take turns setting the treat on the doorstep, with copies of the Phantom poem, ringing the doorbell, and running and hiding as fast as we could so we wouldn’t get caught.
We loved watching the Phantom spread throughout the neighborhood. And most years, it would come back to us. So we’d get to do it all over again.
This was actually one of my favorite Halloween traditions as a little girl.
HOW TO BOO YOUR FRIENDS OR NEIGHBORS
1. Print off 2 copies of the Friendly Halloween Phantom Ghost poem-get the free download them at the end of the post!
2. Prepare 2 sets of Halloween goodies. (Treat ideas below!) And attach the printables to your goodies.
3. Put the treats on the door step, ring or knock the door, and then run! The trick is to not get caught.
4. Those who have received the Phantom should put this Phantom sign on their door, so that the Phantom won’t stop again. Watch the Phantom Ghost spread through your neighborhood!
YOU’VE BEEN BOOED HALLOWEEN TREAT IDEAS
Your Phantom treats can be as simple or elaborate as you’d like. You may want to leave only store-bought treats if you don’t know your neighbors well (would you want to eat a homemade treat from a stranger?) But if your neighborhood is close, then homemade goodies are great, too!
Here’s a few ideas of some of our favorite treats to leave:
- Caramel apple kits- apples and caramels (or The Best Soft Caramel Apple Dip !)
- Root beer and vanilla ice cream
- Our favorite soft Halloween sugar cookies
- Ingredients for Frankenstein Floats
- Halloween Oreos
- Caramel Popcorn
- Halloween Rice Krispy treats
Easy Packaging Ideas
Package any of these treats in one of these brown kraft gift bags and tie with some ribbon!
READY TO START BOO-ING YOUR FRIENDS?
Start thinking of who you can leave the Phantom for this year! It will make your night and theirs, too!
This post is part of our 31 Days of Halloween series. Click here for all the other simple & festive ideas!