Making ice cream in a bag or can is so simple! You'll just need a handful of ingredients for this fun summer activity.
HOMEMADE ICE CREAM IN A BAG OR CAN
I've been so excited to make Ice Cream in a can with my little boy that it was a must on our Summer Bucket List. In fact, it made the perfect afternoon activity while his cousins were in town. Us moms got major bonus points with the kids since we even let them eat the homemade ice cream before dinner! That is what summer is about, right?
If you'd like a fun summer activity, try this one out!
GREAT ACTIVITY FOR:
- Family reunions
- Summer Solstice- the longest day of the year
- Pioneer Day (July 24)
- Lazy summer afternoon
- Family party
- Children's activity
Disclaimer: our kids got tired rolling the ice cream in a can, so we had to jump in and help out. Make sure to have plenty of kids to switch between or expect to help out if the kids are young.
ICE CREAM IN A CAN INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup milk + 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
YOU'LL ALSO NEED:
- small metal can with a lid (like a baby formula can or coffee can)
- no. 10 can
- heavy duty tape like duct tape
- 1 cup rock salt
- lots of crushed ice (approx, ½ bag crushed ice from store or equivalent from freezer)
- mix-ins (Oreos, fruit, toffee, chocolate chips, fruit, etc.)
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM IN A CAN
1. Pour the milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla into the small can. We used an old formula can (cleaned well, of course!)
2. Tape the lid well with masking or duct tape to ensure that the liquid doesn't spill. There are various types of tape that can be used for this purpose. So, make sure that you get a good tape to keep it in place.
3. Put the small can inside a No. 10 can and cover with crushed ice. Then sprinkle ¾ cup of rock salt over the top. Put the lid on and you're ready to roll!
4. Roll it back and forth on the cement. You can also place it on a beach towel and roll it back and forth.
5. After 10 minutes, check the ice cream by removing the smaller can. You can do a quick check by shaking to feel if the liquid is solid or still liquid. You will most likely need to add more ice (pour out the water first) and add more rock salt. Continue to roll for about 5-10 more minutes. The longer you do it, the harder it will be.
Once you're done, give it a good stir and dig in!
CAN KIDS HELP WITH THIS?
Yes, children can certainly help make ice cream. The process will take 10-15 minutes, so just be advised that you will most likely need to jump and help with the rolling when they get tired.
So what are you waiting for? Here's the homemade ice cream in a bag recipe!Print
Ice Cream in a Can
Delicious homemade ice cream that doubles as a fun activity!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- mix-in toppings, optional
- small formula or coffee can
- no. 10 can
- 1 cup rock salt
- 1 large bag of crushed ice
- Place all the ingredients into the small can. Secure the lid with masking or duct tape.
- Place the small can inside the No. 10 can.
- Fill the large can with crushed ice, surrounding all the sides of the smaller can.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup rock salt on top and replace the lid of the No. 10 can.
- Roll back and forth on cement or on a towel for 10 minutes. Check. You will most likely need to roll about 5-10 more minutes. Dump out any melted ice at this time and refill with crushed ice and rock salt.
- Enjoy this on a summer day or for a party.
Let us know what you think!