*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
Make Ice Cream in a Can using just a few ingredients. This is a fun summer activity for the entire family!
Making Ice Cream in a Can- A Perfect Activity for Summer!
I’ve been so excited to make Ice Cream in a can with my little boy that it was a must on our Summer Bucket List. In fact, it made the perfect afternoon activity while his cousins were in town. Us moms got major bonus points with the kids since we even let them eat the homemade ice cream before dinner! That is what summer is about, right?
If you’d like a fun summer activity, try this one out!
This is a perfect activity for:
- Family reunions
- Summer Solstice– the longest day of the year
- Pioneer Day (July 24)
- Lazy summer afternoon
- Family party
- Cub Scout activity
Disclaimer: our kids got tired rolling the ice cream in a can, so we had to jump in and help out. Make sure to have plenty of kids to switch between or expect to help out if the kids are young.
What you need:
- 1 cup milk + 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
You’ll also need:
- small metal can (like a baby formula can or coffee can)
- no. 10 can
- 1 cup rock salt
- lots of crushed ice (approx, 1/2 bag crushed ice from store or equivalent from freezer)
- mix-ins (Oreos, fruit, toffee, chocolate chips, fruit, etc.)
1. Pour and mix all the ingredients into a small metal can. We used an old formula can (cleaned well, of course!)
2. Tape the lid well with masking or duck tape to ensure that the liquid doesn’t spill.
3. Put the small can inside a No. 10 can and cover with crushed ice. Then sprinkle 3/4 cup of rock salt over the top. Put the lid on and you’re ready to roll!
4. Roll it back and forth on the cement. You can also place it on a beach towel and rock it back and forth.
5. After 10 minutes, check the ice cream by removing the smaller can. You can do a quick check by shaking to feel if the liquid is solid or still liquid. You will most likely need to add more ice (pour out the water first) and add more rock salt. Continue to roll for about 5-10 more minutes. The longer you do it, the harder it will be.
Once you’re done, give it a good stir and dig in!
Save this for later before you forget…
Here’s the Printable Recipe!Print
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- mix-in toppings, optional
- small formula or coffee can
- no. 10 can
- 1 cup rock salt
- 1 large bag of crushed ice
- Place all the ingredients into the small can. Secure the lid with masking or duct tape.
- Place the small can inside the No. 10 can.
- Fill the large can with crushed ice, surrounding all the sides of the smaller can.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup rock salt on top and replace the lid of the No. 10 can.
- Roll back and forth on cement or on a towel for 10 minutes. Check. You will most likely need to roll about 5-10 more minutes. Dump out any melted ice at this time and refill with crushed ice and rock salt.
- Enjoy this on a summer day or for a party.