It’s hard to believe, but it’s almost time for school to start up again. This has us thinking about pens, pencils, erasers, and notebooks. I don’t know about you, but I LOVE shopping for school supplies at back-to-school time. I’m not sure what it is, but cheap school glue and washable markers really make me happy. Anyway, the thought of all of that gave me the idea to help my kids make their own personalized notepads.
1. Have your kids draw something they’d like to go across the bottom of their notepad. (They could draw your family, one of their hobbies, write their name, etc.)
2. Scan their picture onto your computer.
3. Pull up the scanned drawings in Word and size the document to 4 ¼ x 5 ½. Place one photo per page just how you would like it to appear on your notepad. (We put ours across the bottom of the page.)
4. Cut a stack of paper in quarters, making them 4 ¼ x 5 ½ inches. Decide how thick you want to make your notepad to determine how much paper you cut up.
4. Now place your paper into your printer tray. Print your document enough times to finish off the whole stack.
5. After you’ve printed all the pages, stack them together, and put a piece of cardboard cut to the same size as the paper on the back of your stack. (I save any cardboard we get in packaging, etc. You could even use an old cereal box for this)
6. Use two rulers and some clips to clamp the pad together so it’s held tight when you add the padding compound.
7. Grab some of this glue for just a few dollars and it will last for lots and lots of notepads.
8. Just brush the glue on the top edge of your notepad. Make sure that it’s nice and thick and covers everything so you don’t end up with papers falling out of your notepad. Allow it to dry overnight.
9. You’re done! Your kids will love leaving notes that have their very own drawings on each page.
Click below for more Festive Ideas for Kids!
*So Festive with Kids is series contributed by Andrea, a creative mom to 3 boys who always has a fun idea for the little ones. All photos and ideas are original to her.