a homemade version of your favorite graham crackers!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt and set aside.
- Dissolve the baking soda in water, then set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and egg until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the honey and baking soda mixture, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture gradually, scrape down the sides of the bowl occassionally, and mix just until uniform.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 2 lumps.
- On a generously floured (use all-purpose) surface, roll out the dough one lump at a time to 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into approximately 4×4-inch sections (or cookie cutter shapes), so that they will be easy to flip with a spatula during baking. Place the sections on a baking sheet 1 inch apart and roll out the rest of the crackers in the same way.
- Poke each cracker several times with a fork.
- Bake the crackers for 6-8 minutes then flip them over. (The underside should be lightly browned). Bake for another 4-6 minutes, until the other side is lightly browned. Turn the oven off and open the oven door.
- Loosen the crackers with a spatula, snack on a few, and let the remaining dry out in the oven for 2 more hours.
Keywords: graham crackers