How to make homemade graham crackers. Make these in squares or festive shapes for holidays!
HOMEMADE GRAHAM CRACKERS
Did you know you can make graham crackers? I never did until my friend Marcelle and I made them a few years ago. I’ve saved the recipe, but it was one of those that got lost in my recipe book. I recently found it and remembered how fun these were to make.
They do take a little more time than just picking up a box at the store. And let’s be honest. Who has time these days to always make homemade graham crackers? Certainly not me.
HOW LONG DO THEY TAKE TO BAKE?
You only need to bake these for about 14 minutes. You will bake on the first side for 6-8 minutes and then flip to bake on the other side.
Although they don’t take a long time to bake, be sure to plan in about 2 hours to let the graham crackers cool completely.
At this point, you can eat, store, or grind up if you want to make a graham cracker crust.
CAN YOU MAKE INTO SQUARES OR SHAPES?
Yes! That is the great thing about this homemade recipe. You can cut the crackers into squares like you’re used to. Or use cookie cutters to make into festive shapes.
The best sugar cookies are so fun for holidays, but if you want a healthier option, this recipe is great.
- Graham cracker crust
a homemade version of your favorite graham crackers!
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt and set aside.
- Dissolve the baking soda in water, then set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and egg until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the honey and baking soda mixture, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture gradually, scrape down the sides of the bowl occassionally, and mix just until uniform.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 2 lumps.
- On a generously floured (use all-purpose) surface, roll out the dough one lump at a time to ⅛ inch thick. Cut the dough into approximately 4×4-inch sections (or cookie cutter shapes), so that they will be easy to flip with a spatula during baking. Place the sections on a baking sheet 1 inch apart and roll out the rest of the crackers in the same way.
- Poke each cracker several times with a fork.
- Bake the crackers for 6-8 minutes then flip them over. (The underside should be lightly browned). Bake for another 4-6 minutes, until the other side is lightly browned. Turn the oven off and open the oven door.
- Loosen the crackers with a spatula, snack on a few, and let the remaining dry out in the oven for 2 more hours.
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
Keywords: graham crackers
Do you love s’mores? Do you love the 4th of July? Head over to I’m Topsy Turvy today for a festive combination of the two!