*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. That means if you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
A step-by-step tutorial to make delicious French Beignets.
Have you ever heard of beignets (pronounced “bin-yays”)? If you haven’t, don’t worry because most people haven’t. My parents discovered these delicious french doughnuts at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans years ago. They fell in love with them and decided to make them for us every Christmas morning.
Today I’m going to show you how fun they can be to make with your kids. Ready? Let’s go!
What you need to make beignets:
- Beignet mix (can be purchased online , at World Market for $4 per box, or try the from-scratch recipe here)
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- holiday cookie cutters
- paper bags
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar
6 easy steps to make beignets:
1. Combine 2 cups of mix and 7 oz of water in a mixing a bowl. Stir until it is a soft, pliable dough. If it’s too sticky, add a little more mix. If it’s too thick, add a little more water. You can’t mess it up!
2. Put the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to 1/8th inch thickness. Then use holiday cookie cutters to cut the dough out.
3. Put in hot oil and fry until each side is golden brown.
4. Let the beignets drain on a paper towel for about 30 seconds.
5. Put them in a paper bag with a few cups of powdered sugar and shake, shake, shake.
6. Eat! They are especially yummy with hot chocolate! I promise you they won’t last long. They have such a delicious flavor–unlike any other doughnut you’ve had.
Let me know if you try them out! I am getting really excited for these on Christmas morning!
*This post was originally posted on Small Fry. It was quite the honor since I love that blog!