How to make beignets the easy way.
WHAT IS A BEIGNET?
Before you make a beignet, you are probably wondering, "what are beignets?"
A beignet (pronounced "bin-yays" or sometimes "beneigh") is a French donut. French Colonists in the 18th century brought the beignet recipe and tradition to New Orleans.
My parents discovered these delicious french doughnuts at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans when I was just a toddler! They fell in love beignets New Orleans and would order the mix each year straight from Cafe du Monde so they could make them for us on Christmas.
Beignets are not just for Christmas, though! You can make them any time of the year on birthdays, Mardi Gras, or to celebrate a special occasion.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BEIGNETS RECIPE EASY:
You can search for a beignet recipe, but I'm going to tell you how to make them the EASIEST way since we are all about simple here at So Festive.
First, get a beignet mix.
Thankfully, it is much easier to find beignet mix compared to when my parents had to send a mail-order to New Orleans. You can find the mix on Amazon, World Market and even most Walmart stores!
Aside from the mix, you'll also need:
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- holiday cookie cutters (if you want to make them into shapes, optional)
- paper bags
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE BEIGNETS:
1. For this beignets recipe, combine 2 cups of beignet mix and 7 oz of water in a mixing a bowl. Stir until it is a soft, pliable beignet dough. If it's too sticky, add a little more mix. If it's too thick, add a little more water. You can't mess it up!
2. Put the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to ⅛th inch thickness. Then use holiday cookie cutters to cut the dough out.
3. Put in hot oil and fry until each side is golden brown.
4. Let the beignets drain on a paper towel for about 30 seconds.
5. Put them in a paper bag with a few cups of powdered sugar and shake, shake, shake.
6. Eat! They are especially yummy with hot chocolate! I promise you they won't last long. They have such a delicious flavor--unlike any other doughnut you've had.
Let me know if you try this easy Recipe for Beignets out.