How to make beignets the easy way.
WHAT IS A BEIGNET?
A beignet (pronounced “bin-yays”) is a French donut. French Colonists in the 18th century brought the beignet recipe and tradition to New Orleans.
My parents discovered these delicious french doughnuts at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans when I was just a toddler! They fell in love with them and decided to make them for us every Christmas morning.
Beignets are not just for Christmas, though! You can make them any time of the year on birthdays, Mardi Gras, or to celebrate a special occasion.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BEIGNETS:
You can search for a beignet recipe, but I’m going to tell you how to make them the EASIEST way since we are all about simple here at So Festive.
First, you’ll need a beignet mix. Order it online from either of these places. The cost is slightly cheaper at World Market, but if you have Amazon Prime, that’s a good way to go, too.
BUY IT HERE:
Aside from the mix, you’ll need:
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- holiday cookie cutters
- paper bags
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE BEIGNETS:
1. Combine 2 cups of beignet mix and 7 oz of water in a mixing a bowl. Stir until it is a soft, pliable dough. If it’s too sticky, add a little more mix. If it’s too thick, add a little more water. You can’t mess it up!
2. Put the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to ⅛th inch thickness. Then use holiday cookie cutters to cut the dough out.
3. Put in hot oil and fry until each side is golden brown.
4. Let the beignets drain on a paper towel for about 30 seconds.
5. Put them in a paper bag with a few cups of powdered sugar and shake, shake, shake.
6. Eat! They are especially yummy with hot chocolate! I promise you they won’t last long. They have such a delicious flavor–unlike any other doughnut you’ve had.
Let me know if you try them out! I am getting really excited for these on Christmas morning!
OTHER CHRISTMAS RECIPES: