100% whole wheat rolls you'll actually love. With a soft texture and simple recipe, you can have a delicious dinner roll made in just a few hours.
WHOLE WHEAT ROLLS
Want a delicious, soft, 100% whole wheat dinner roll you'll actually like? I don't know about you, but I was on the hunt for a whole wheat roll that wasn't rock hard.
So when I came across this recipe for these soft whole wheat dinner rolls, I was excited to try them.
And you know what? They passed the test!
They were soft, easy and quick to make, and were definitely loved by all who tried them. Sure, if you compare them next to an all-white roll (like our fairy rolls), they will taste heartier and healthier, because, well, they are!
This is the only wheat roll recipe that I have made that actually turn our soft and fluffy. And that' s a winner in my book.
And now years later, this is our go-to recipe when I want a yummy roll that is also whole wheat.
HOW TO MAKE 100% SOFT DINNER ROLLS
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. The water should be warm enough that you can stick your finger in it without it feeling too hot. If it's too cool, the yeast won't rise. Let the yeast bubble for a few minutes. If the yeast doesn't, start over.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (I use a Bosch) cream the butter and honey together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until well combined. Scrape the sides as needed. Add milk and yeast mixture and stir.
- Add 4 ½ cups of flour and salt to the bowl and mix. Change to the dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes just until the dough is not sticky. Add a tablespoon or two of flour if needed, but you don't want the dough too dry.
- Cover the dough with a light towel and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, knead a few times and let rest for 3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place in a buttered or greased 9x13 baking dish. The dough balls will touch each other.
- Cover with a light towel and let the rolls rise 1 more hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the wheat rolls cool slightly, brush butter on the top if desired and enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE THESE WHOLE WHEAT ROLLS WITH
These soft dinner rolls are a great compliment to any meal, but they especially go well with these popular recipes:
- Quick Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Easy Spinach Tortellini Salad
- Easy Brown Sugar Glazed Baked Ham
- The Best Chicken Kabobs
OTHER ROLL RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
If you need some other simple roll and bread recipes, try these tried and true favorites! They are great for holiday dinner and family gatherings.
HERE'S THE RECIPEPrint
Original recipe adapted from An Oregon Cottage