These no-fail homemade crescent rolls are easy to make and are the perfect light and fluffy roll to complement soups, dinner, or holiday meals. The dough also works well for cinnamon rolls or other sweet rolls.
Easy Crescent Rolls
When you need a quick and easy homemade roll recipe, this is it!
While I absolutely love our 1-hour dinner roll recipe , this homemade roll recipe is our go-to when we have more time for cinnamon rolls. These rolls are also requested for our Thanksgiving dinner menu.
My mom called these Fairy Rolls. And while I’m not sure why, maybe it has to do with the fact that they are so light and airy. You could probably eat 10 in one setting.
To make these crescent dinner rolls, you’ll need the following ingredients. You most likely have the in the pantry!
- butter or margarine, room temperature
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
How to make crescent rolls
Don’t be afraid to make homemade rolls! Here’s how to make crescent rolls:
- Measure out 2 cups water in a microwaveable dish. I use this 2-cup glass measuring cup. Heat for about 1 minute.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, place the softened butter in. When water is hot to the touch but you can still keep your finger in comfortable, pour the hot water over the butter or margarine. Give a quick stir. Add in yeast. Let sit for 3-4 minutes until it gets bubbly and foamy.
- Mix in 2 eggs, sugar, salt, flour and baking powder one at a time until a soft dough forms. Keep kneading until the side of the bowls are clean about 4 minutes. If you don’t have stand mixer or Bosch, knead with your hands until the dough is not sticky to the touch.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with a light towel and let double in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Form into rolls (see below). Let rise another ½ hour to 1 hour. Bake.
Wheat Flour Substitution
You can definitely substitute half of the amount of white flour with wheat flour. I have done this many times and have great results!
How to roll crescent rolls
To get perfect crescent rolls every time, take ¼th of the dough and roll into a large circle about ¼ inch thick.
Using a pizza cutter, cut the circle of dough into 12 pieces. It’s easiest if you cut the dough in half each way, and then cut each quarter or dough into 3 rolls.
Starting at the large end of each triangle, roll up the dough until you reach the end, making a crescent shape.
Serve homemade croissant rolls with:
Crescent Roll RecipePrint
A light and fluffy dough that’s perfect for dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls.
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pour hot water over margarine. Let cool just enough before adding yeast in. After you add yeast, let the mixture bubble for a few minutes.
- Add in 2 eggs and mix sugar, salt, and flour and baking powder in. Mix until a soft dough forms. You may need to add up to 1 extra cup of flour so that it isn’t too sticky.
- Let rise until double in size (about 1-2 hours).
- Form into rolls* and let rise again (another ½ hour.)
- Bake for 8-11 minutes at 375.
- *to make into croissants, roll dough into a large circle. use a pizza cutter to cut into thin triangles. start rolling each triangle from large end until it looks like a croissant.
- Category: Breads
Keywords: rolls, fairy rolls, crescent rolls