Let’s talk Decorations today. Decorations can be one of the most overwhelming parts of the party, but they don’t have to be. Here are a few ideas to keep make it easier for you!
1. If possible, use an outside location. Having your party or event outside will cut down on the amount of decorating you’ll have to do. Use the trees, fences, flowers, gates, etc. to your advantage.
2. If you are using a large indoor space, create a mock barrier so that you don’t have to decorate the entire room. For example, last week we had a party in a huge gym. We didn’t want to decorate the entire room, so we put the refreshment tables right in the middle and everything else on one side of them. This created a natural break and drew everyone to one side of the room. It was perfect because then we only had to decorate the side we used. Even though the room was huge, it didn’t feel like there was a lot of un-decorated space because we used this strategy.
3. Keep a decoration stash on hand. Items like chinese lanterns, generic buntings, chalkboard signs, balloons, fun napkins, straws, and crepe paper will make it easier to decorate on a moment’s notice.
4. Decorate as much in advance as possible. We always like to decorate as least the morning of the party so that it is one less thing to do during crunch time!
5. Put a simple sketch together of how you will decorate. Pull out the decorations you are going to use before the party. This will give you a good mental picture of how everything looks together and then if you need a few more items, you’ll know what you still need.
6. Use the food you are serving as part of the decorations. I’m pretty sure we aren’t the only ones who use food as a big aspect of each party. So, use all those treats, snacks, cakes, desserts, etc as part of your decor. Why not?
7. Pick a color and go with it. If you don’t even know where to start with decorations, pick one or two colors to decorate with. Round up everything in those colors you have around the house first and then pick up a few other items if needed. Picking a few colors will make the entire space feel cohesive and put together.
8. Make dollar stores your friend. You will be surprised at some awesome decorating items you can find for cheap! There is no rule that you HAVE to spend a lot of money on decorations. Some of my favorite decorating items that we have picked up from dollar stores are: brown postal paper, crepe paper, balloons, and clothespins.
For some simple decoration ideas, consider these:
giant cardboard tinsel numbers
Photos by Marcelle Calder Photography
Click below for all other A to Z lessons! Or subscribe to all the updates on the sidebar –>