*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, check out our Privacy & Disclosure Policy.
This Mexican “Fried” Ice Cream is perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any fiesta. You get the taste of fried ice cream without all the extra calories.
Healthy Mexican “Fried” Ice Cream
Looking for a delicious and healthy Mexican-inspired dessert? This “fried” ice cream will quickly become a favorite recipe!
And when I say “fried”, I mean not fried at all. Yes, you heard that right! You get the amazing taste and texture of fried ice cream, without all the extra calories!
Make it for Cinco de Mayo, a fiesta, or any other time you want a unique treat!
Plus, how fun are they on a stick?
What You Need To Make Healthy Fried Ice Cream
- vanilla frozen yogurt (or ice cream if you want)
- corn flakes, crushed
- ground cinnamon
- popsicle sticks
- wax paper
- large cookie sheet
- hot fudge (optional)
Step 1- Form The Ice Cream Balls
Scoop the frozen yogurt or ice cream into round balls. To do this, you’ll want to let it soften just a bit, but don’t let it melt too much or you’ll be working with a puddle!
Once you have formed into a ball, place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and place in the freezer for about 2 hours.
Step 2 – Prepare the crumble
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, crush the corn flakes into small pieces. Stir in cinnamon.
Step 3- Roll
Once the ice cream balls are firm, remove them from the freezer and roll into the corn flake and cinnamon mixture. I suggest only removing a few at a time so that the others don’t melt while you are dipping.
Once all the “fried” ice cream balls are covered in the corn flake mixture, stick a popsicle stick in the middle and return to the freezer. If you don’t have room in your freezer the sticks, you can add them right before serving.
Step 4- Freeze Until Serving
Once the fried ice cream balls are prepared, return them to the freezer until you are ready to serve.
You can even prepare these up to a few days in advance! If you make these that early, be sure to freeze them without the sticks in a freezer-safe air-tight container. This will keep them from getting freezer burned.
How To Serve
Once you’re ready to eat, pull them out of the freezer and add sticks if you need to. Eat them like a popsicle.
Another option is to place one or two in a bowl and eat with a spoon.
Hot Fudge Topping
I know I said these are healthy, and they are much healthier than the fried version. But, if you want to add some extra deliciousness, drizzle your favorite hot fudge on top right before serving.
Make some for your next Cinco de Mayo party! Or any other time you need an excuse for a healthy, but super delicious dessert!
Easy Cinco de Mayo Food Ideas
We love making this “fried” ice cream for Cinco de Mayo. Be sure to check out these yummy Mexican recipes!
Healthy un-fried ice cream for Cinco de Mayo or any other fiesta!
- 4 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or more if you want it stronger)
- vanilla frozen yogurt (or ice cream)
- popsicle sticks
- hot fudge
- Form frozen yogurt into balls. Place on wax paper so they can easily be removed from freezer container. Freeze for at least 2 hours, but the longer the better.
- After the frozen yogurt is firmly frozen, mix crushed corn flakes and cinnamon together in a bowl. Roll each frozen yogurt ball into the crumb mixture firmly so that the topping stays on. Return to freezer until you are ready to serve.
- Right before eating, remove from freezer. Make a slit in the top of each ball with a small, sharp knife. This will make your popsicle stick slide right in. Drizzle with hot fudge and eat them until they are gone! Because trust me, you won’t be able to stop yourself.