Cooking dinner in a pumpkin is easier than you think with this simple, family-friendly recipe!
- 1 small to medium pumpkin (always go with smaller and round so that it will fit in your oven)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 oz canned or fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 8 oz water chestnuts, drained
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and thoroughly clean out the seeds and pulp. Paint a Jack-O-Lantern face with a permanent marker.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large fry pan, saute onions with ground beef until browned. Drain any fat. Add in soy sauce, brown sugar, mushrooms, and soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in cooked rice and water chestnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the pumpkin shell. Replace pumpkin top and place entire filled pumpkin on a baking sheet.
- Bake 1 hour or until meat of the pumpkin is tender. Put pumpkin on a platter to serve.
- Cook the meat ahead of time to save you time on the night of.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dish
Keywords: dinner in pumpkin, Halloween, pumpkin dinner recipes, meal in a pumpkin