Amazing, huge, soft cinnamon rolls that are better than a bakery's. This cinnamon roll recipe is the perfect way to use leftover mashed potatoes.
For the cinnamon roll dough:
- 2 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (can be instant)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour (may need up to an additional 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- raisins (if desired)
- softened butter or margarine
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Roll Frosting
- 1 cube butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (can omit if you don't have it)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- add more milk or p. sugar to make thicker/thinner
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and set aside.
- In a Bosch or stand mixer, pour warm milk over butter (or margarine) and mashed potatoes. Mix.
- Add yeast mixture to milk mixture. Then add in beaten eggs, salt, and 4 cups flour. Mix until smooth and well blended.
- If you want to add nuts and raisins, use the remaining flour to dredge nuts and raisins. Then add to the dough.
- Cover with a towel and let dough rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half and roll into rectangle 1/2 inch thick. Spread with softened butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roll up and cut into 1 inch slices. Place on greased cookie sheet and rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 16-20 min, until golden brown. Frost with icing while hot.
- You can double this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, best cinnamon rolls with frosting