How to make homemade mini tarts shells that can be filled with cream cheese mousse, pudding, lemon curd, or fresh fruit.
RECIPE FOR MINI TARTS
Want to try your hand at making homemade tarts? This simple mini tart recipe will become your favorite tart recipe because it's easy, only requires basic pantry ingredients, and is freezer-friendly!
The delicious, not-overly sweet crust of homemade tarts pairs perfectly with your favorite fillings including: lemon, chocolate, cream cheese, berries, and more.
Mini tarts are a unique and gourmet dessert for baby showers, bridal showers, weddings, Pie Day parties, pot lucks, and Thanksgiving.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MINI TART SHELLS/ HOMEMADE MINI TARTS
Mini tarts are not hard to make. They will require some hands-on effort, but the end result will be worth it!
Prepare The Dough
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a stand or hand mixer. Keep mixing until it is light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Finally, add the sifted flour and mix until a soft dough forms and there are no flour streaks left.
Chill The Dough
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a few hours until the dough is nice and cold. You can make the dough and chill it overnight or for a few days in advance, no problem.
Form & Bake Mini Tart Shells
- Using mini tart shell pans (see notes below), mold a thin layer of dough into each pan.
- The dough will puff up while baking, so keep it on the thin side so that there is plenty of room for the tart filling.
- For individual pans, place them on a large cookie sheet before baking to make them easier to take out of the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to over bake. Remove from the oven.
- Carefully squeeze the tart out of the tart pan (don't worry, it's flexible!) and let them cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container for a day or freeze up to a month until ready to serve.
Fill Mini Tarts
- Choose a variety of fillings to scoop into your mini tarts.
- Fill the tarts just before serving so that they don't get soggy.
- Add sprinkles, whipped cream, or shredded chocolate on top for a fancy look.
BEST MINI TART SHELL PANS
To make the mini tarts, you will need tart pans. There are a few different options you can choose from.
The first tart pan option is individual mini tart molds. This is what I use and love.
BUY FROM AMAZON:
Another tart pan option is one where all the molds are in the same pan, similar to a cupcake pan.
BUY FROM AMAZON:
Either pan will work, although like I said, I prefer the individual tart pans because it seems to be easier to remove the tarts after they have baked.
MINI TARTS FILLING IDEAS
There are so many different tart filling options that are delicious. Our favorite fillings include:
- chocolate pudding
- lemon curd
- cream cheese mousse with fresh fruit
- strawberry pie filling with whipped cream
CREAM CHEESE MOUSSE TART FILLING
To make the cream cheese mousse topping, you'll need:
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
Place all the ingredients into a stand or hand mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Spoon into tarts and then top with fresh chopped fruit.